Front Counter Services

Table of Contents

Record Suspensions (Previously called Pardons)

The purpose of a Record Suspension, previously called a Pardon, is to have your Canadian criminal record sealed.

There are many steps required to complete the process. For more information please visit the Parole Board of Canada or contact their toll-free helpline at 1-800-874-2652.


There are processes within the Record Suspension application such as fingerprint requests and local police checks. At the Burnaby RCMP each of these processes has a $60.00 administrative fee associated to it. Please be advised that there may also be a $25 federal fee to check the prints which is payable by Visa, MasterCard, debit card, or money order (made out to the City of Burnaby).  All payments made by credit card will be subject to a 1.75% service fee.

Acceptable forms of ID

Two pieces of acceptable ID (one of which must be Canadian Government issued photo ID) are required for all services provided at Front Counter and at Community Policing Offices. For ID to be considered acceptable, it must have the person's legal name, date of birth and it cannot be expired.

Please note, the new BC Services Card combines the BC Driver’s Licence and Care Card. This Services Card is considered one form of ID.

Examples of ID

Primary ID

Primary ID

Must have a Picture and be issued by a Canadian Government or agency. It must include the name and date of birth of the person. In instances where the full legal name is too long to be printed on the ID, then it must include the entire legal first and last name. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • BC Driver’s Licence (BCDL)
  • BC Services Card
  • Combined BCDL and BC Services Card (only considered 1 piece of ID)
  • BCID
  • Canadian Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Citizenship Card (only if issued in the last 10 years)
  • Native Status Card
  • Firearms licence
  • Other Provincial ID Cards / Medical Cards
  • Canadian Military or Police ID
  • Interim Federal Health Program ID
Secondary ID

Secondary ID

Can be non-picture ID. But must have the same name and date of birth as on the Primary ID. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • MSP Care Card (No longer issued)
  • BC Services Card (if it has no picture)
  • Canadian Visitor Visa/Work Permit (only if affixed to a foreign passport)
  • Immigration documents (IMM 1000, Certificate of PR Status, etc.)
  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate (new style only, which has the person's full name and date of birth on the back)
  • Canadian Citizenship Card (if issued more than 10 years ago)
  • Foreign passports
  • Birth certificate (issued by Canadian Province)

Out of Town applicants

If an applicant is at the local indices stage of their record suspension application and they are unable to attend in person because they no longer live in the Lower Mainland, they may apply via regular mail to the Burnaby RCMP (address information). To apply by regular mail, the requester must include certified true copies of two pieces of acceptable ID, a certified cheque or money order for $60 (made out to the City of Burnaby), a copy of their certified criminal record, and a local Police Records Check Form with the front page filled out in full. The submitted documents will be returned to the applicant along with the results of the local indices check.

Date modified: