Burnaby RCMP arrests two suspects after a series of package thefts
2022-12-23 10:54 PST
File # 22-40928
Burnaby RCMP’s Prolific Offender Suppression Team (POST) will be forwarding numerous charges after a series of package thefts that occurred on December 6, 2022.
The thefts occurred over a 42-minute time span, with six packages being stolen from the front porches of three separate residences in Burnaby.
On December 21, two weeks after the investigation began, POST executed a search warrant at a residence in New Westminster.
A man and woman identified as suspects over the course of the investigation were both present when police arrived to conduct the search. Both were arrested.
Several stolen items, including packages and mail, were recovered by officers in the residence during the search.
These types of thefts can be extremely frustrating for victims. The officers who were involved with this investigation are now making every effort to return the stolen packages to their rightful owners, just in time for the holidays, said Corporal Laura Hirst with the Burnaby RCMP.
The investigation is ongoing, but investigators plan on forwarding several charges to the BC Prosecution Service.
Burnaby RCMP’s Crime Prevention Unit has several tips that can help deter package thefts:
- For important or expensive items, require a signature upon delivery so packages are not left unattended at your home.
- Visible security cameras can be a deterrent for thieves. Consider a camera system to record activity or a door bell camera.
- Consider sending packages to your workplace instead of your home. Check with your employer if this is an option.
- Consider the purchase of a lockbox to protect deliveries on your property. These boxes secure to an exterior wall and can be unlocked with a key or code.
- Some online retailers provide locker services where packages can be sent for secure pickup. Consider that option at checkout if you have concerns over the security of your parcel.
Report any suspicious individuals or activity in your neighbourhood to the Burnaby RCMP at 604-646-9999.Burnaby RCMP
6355 Deer Lake Avenue, Burnaby, BC, V5G 2J2
Website: burnaby.rcmp-grc.gc.ca (English only)
- Date modified: