Apply to the Indigenous Pre-Cadet Training Program!
B.C., Indigenous Policing Services
2021-11-24 12:58 PST
The Indigenous Pre-Cadet Training Program (IPTP) is an RCMP recruiting initiative designed to give young Indigenous people a first-hand look at a career in policing.
The application period has officially launched for the 2022 session.
IPTP offers Canadian Indigenous people, between the ages of 19 and 29, an opportunity to experience a three-week modified RCMP training experience at Depot, the RCMP Training Academy in Regina, Saskatchewan. 32 candidates will be selected from across Canada.
Since the inception of the program in 1994, hundreds of candidates have completed the program and about half have gone on to apply to the RCMP.
I am so thankful for the program because it helped me so much here, from knowing what to pack and also where to go once I arrived, said Constable Megan Oishi. Cst. Oishi completed the program then called the
Aboriginal Pre-Cadet Training Program in 2018. She enrolled in the RCMP Cadet Training Program and graduated from Depot in 2021. She is currently posted in New Hazelton, BC.
What you’ll learn:
- The Criminal Code, interviewing, cultural diversity, finding and collecting evidence and appearing in Court;
- Rules regarding use of force, defensive techniques, risk assessment and handcuffing, escorting and searching subjects;
- Police driving techniques, radio communications, directing traffic and investigating collisions; and
- Preparation for the RCMP fitness test and an introduction to firearms.
Who should apply:
- If you are between the ages of 19-29.
- If you are of First Nation, Inuit, or Métis descent.
- A Canadian citizen.
- Able to pass an enhanced reliability security check.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Possess a Canadian high school diploma or equivalent.
- Possess a valid driver’s license (L and N are acceptable).
These cadets bring a valuable perspective and an innate understanding of their unique cultures with them which only enhances the RCMP’s ability to create better partnerships and relationships with Canada’s Indigenous communities, said Superintendent Dee Stewart, Officer in Charge Indigenous Police Services.
In order to provide culturally sensitive policing to the more than 600 Indigenous communities that the RCMP serves across Canada, we are committed to ensuring our workforce better reflects these communities.
The application deadline in British Columbia: January 14, 2021.
To get more information or to learn how to apply, please email the
Cpl. Rebecca Munro at email@example.com or Cpl. Susan Boyes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on this program, please visit Indigenous Pre-Cadet Training Program.
BC RCMP Communications
- Date modified: