You can report crime online in the Comox Valley
2020-11-27 09:34 PST
The Comox Valley RCMP Detachment would like to remind residents that crime can be reported online.
On March 18th, 2020, the Comox Valley RCMP started accepting crime reports through an on-line reporting tool at bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/comoxvalley/report.
Online Crime Reporting provides an alternative way for the public to report less serious crimes that occurred in the Comox Valley. The following incidences are reportable online:
- Damage/mischief under $5,000 to property;
- Damage/mischief under $5,000 to vehicle;
- Hit and run to unoccupied vehicle or property;
- Theft of bicycle under $5,000;
- Theft under $5,000;
- Theft under $5,000 from vehicle;
- Lost property.
In order to make a report online, the following conditions MUST be met:
- The member of the public making the online report MUST use your real name and have a valid e-mail address;
- There MUST NOT be any witnesses or suspects;
- Follow-up by a police officer MUST NOT be required;
- Reports MUST NOT involve personal identification (passports, drivers licences, etc), firearms, licence plates or decals;
- The user MUST agree to the terms and conditions of use.
In addition to providing a more convenient way for residents to make a report meeting the above criteria, this tool allows call takers and front line personnel to focus on higher priority calls, which will improve overall safety and response times in the city.
We have received 93 reports online since March, 2020; however, we are still taking many reports by phone and in-person which would fit the criteria to go online said Cst. Monika Terragni, Media Relations Officer, Comox Valley RCMP.
We would love to see an increase in the use of this valuable tool she added.
To make a report using the Online Crime Reporting tool, visit bc.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/comoxvalley/report.
Cst. Monika TerragniMedia Relations Officer
Comox Valley RCMP
800 Ryan Rd, Courtenay, BC V9N 7T1
- Date modified: